Our western diet is filled with nutrient-poor, processed foods. We are constantly exposed to toxins on a daily basis, our stress levels have skyrocketed and many people are dealing with gut issues, chronic inflammation, and fatigue.
Because we are all unique, the answer to which supplements we should take is not so black and white, with that being said there are some ESSENTIAL supplements that I recommend everyone take:
Multivitamin: I do micronutrient testing day in and day out at my clinic and I have yet to EVER have someone come back without a nutritional deficiency. Even if you have a perfect diet, your genetics, gut, and lifestyle all affect the ability in which your body breaks down and absorbs food.
Over 40% of adults have inadequate intake of magnesium and vitamins A, D, E, and C. A traditional multivitamin/mineral supplement may not provide preferred daily support that complements smart eating habits and promotes wellness and healthy aging.
Now there’s a growing recognition of the value of dietary phytonutrients—which help support antioxidant protection, DNA stability, and cellular communication that in turn influence metabolic pathways and body systems. And consuming an array of phytonutrients from a variety of fruits and vegetables may increase dietary value due to collective influences on health.
With my practice I use Metagenic’s Phytomulti, which offers full spectrum phytonutrients for antioxidant protection to defend cellular health and DNA stability and is optimized with 20+ essential vitamins & minerals for multidimensional health support.
Scientific Rationale of PhytoMulti
- In a 4-week open-label study conducted at the FMRC, the effects of 2 daily PhytoMulti tablets on multiple biomarkers were evaluated in 15 healthy adults.
- PhytoMulti was well absorbed, as indicated by the significant increase in plasma levels of carotenoids, folate, and vitamin B12* (Figure 2)
- Serum levels of oxidized LDL (oxLDL), plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1), and myeloperoxidase (MPO)—markers of oxidative stress, cardiovascular health, and overall health—were significantly reduced* (Figure 3)
- Omega-3 EPA-DHA: With today’s western diet, we tend to get a lot more Omega-6s (pro-inflammatory) than Omega-3s (anti-inflammatory). Omega-3s, which come from fatty cuts of fish can help lower the risk of chronic disease and are very important for cognitive function, memory, and behavior.
Fish oil supplements provide omega-3s like EPA and DHA. Quality and purity should come first when selecting a fish oil supplement to ensure they are feree of impurities and contaminants.
Something’s Fishy: Don’t settle for a lesser fish oil. Seek out a reputable supplement company that conducts potency testing in addition to testing for the following contaminants and toxins:
- Potency: Testing to verify fatty acid content matches what is listed on the label—EPA, DHA, and other omega fatty acids such as omega-6s.
Rancidity potential (oxidative measures):Testing to ensure freshness has not been compromised by exposure to air, heat, light, and metals during manufacture, which can affect taste and smell.
Environmental contaminants & heavy metals: Purity testing for the presence of environmental toxins and industrial chemicals.
- Dioxins & furans
- Polychlorinated biphenols (PCBs)
- Dioxin-like PCBs
- Heavy metals (lead, tin, cadmium, mercury, arsenic)
- Other industrial metals (iron, copper)
- Iodine 131
Reputable third-party laboratories offer reliable, analytical methods for characterizing the identity, purity, composition, and authenticity of fish oil formulas. Be sure to look for a quality guarantee with verified testing information that ensures the highest level of purity possible. At My practice I use and recommend Metagenic’s EPA-DHA 1000
- Probiotic: Our gut microbiome plays a HUGE role in overall health. If you were to ask me what optimal health means, I would first look at the gut. Nearly 80% of our immune system is in the gut and 95% of serotonin (a neurotransmitter that regulated mood) is produced in the gut. If the balance of gut bacteria is thrown off, it can lead to problems such as autoimmunity, depression/anxiety, leaky gut and food sensitives, and chronic fatigue to name a few.
Probiotics can vary significantly in potency, efficacy, and safety, which can result in inconsistent health benefits. Many products fall short due to various reasons, including not identifying the probiotic strain that is linked to specific health benefits. Additionally, some products have also been found to contain specific contaminants (gluten, mold, yeast, and potentially harmful bacteria), which can cause negative reactions and deleterious health effects in susceptible individuals. Through extensive and rigorous quality control testing, UltraFlora guarantees the highest quality of purity (free of contaminants), potency, and scientifically formulated probiotic formulas that contain genetically identified strains with established health benefits for clinically reliable outcomes.
- Vitamin D: Studies estimate that one billion people worldwide have insufficient vitamin D levels and at least 3 million American adults are deficient. However, the rate of true vitamin D deficiency is likely even higher, because research has found that the previous recommended levels of vitamin D were actually too low. I’ve checked the vitamin D levels of thousands of patients in my clinic and virtually all of them had below optimal levels, even those who were taking a vitamin D supplement.
Vitamin D works like a hormone in the body and regulates everything from metabolism and energy, mood, and immunity. Most the time when people get sick in the winter, they also experience a drop in vitamin D. Metagenic’ss D3 + K provides 5,000 IU per softgel of vitamin D (as D3), designed for greater absorption. This high potency formula also includes bioavailable forms of vitamin K2(menaquinone-7) to complement vitamin D.
Where Should I Purchase Supplements?
With my practice I recommend and use only pharmaceutical grade supplements. Meaning higher quality and often higher dosages than over the counter. They also have been tested by third-party companies to ensure that the ingredients are what they say.