How to Go Out to Brunch and Still Eat Healthy by Jeff Davis
Brunch is a great time to socialize with friends and family, and it can be a delicious and satisfying meal. But with all the tempting options on the menu, it can be hard to resist overindulging. And if you're trying to eat healthy, brunch can be a real minefield.
But don't worry, it's possible to enjoy brunch without sacrificing your fitness goals. Here are a few tips from Jeff Davis, a fitness coach and ICON Meals affiliate:
1. Start with protein. Protein helps you feel full and satisfied, so it's a great way to start your meal. Look for options like omelets, egg whites, shrimp, or ahi tuna.
2. Load up on veggies. Veggies are packed with nutrients and fiber, and they're low in calories. When you're eating out, look for veggie-rich options like asparagus, mushrooms, spinach, or tomatoes.
3. Be mindful of your carbs and fats. Carbs and fats are important nutrients, but they're also high in calories. When you're eating out, be mindful of your carb and fat intake. If you're going to have a muffin, slice of bread, or bagel, choose a whole-wheat option and limit your portion size.
4. Drink water or black coffee. Sugary drinks can add hundreds of calories to your meal, so it's best to stick with water or black coffee.
Here are a few examples of healthy brunch dishes that you can find at most restaurants:
- Omelet with egg whites, veggies, and cheese
- Shrimp or ahi tuna salad
- Avocado toast
- Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts
- Oatmeal with berries and nuts
- Whole-wheat pancakes with fruit and syrup
If you're looking for a more decadent treat, you can order a waffle or French toast, but be sure to choose a healthier option like whole-wheat waffles or French toast made with egg whites. And don't forget to skip the sugary toppings and opt for fresh fruit and sugar-free syrup instead.
By following these tips, you can enjoy brunch without sacrificing your health goals. And remember, moderation is key. Even if you indulge a little bit, it's not going to ruin all your hard work. Just get back on track with your healthy eating habits at your next meal.
Stay connected with author and Team ICON Member Jeff Davis on:
Want to be featured as an "Everyday ICON?" Submit your stories to email@example.com or send us a DM on IG or Facebook!